Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mysterious Ways

I have been blessed beyond measure by a fabulous group of friends.  All have had a more difficult road than is typical on their journey to parenthood, and most have at least one child who was adopted internationally.  We have known each other since before Joey came home, over nine years ago.  And although over time we have lost a few from the fold, those who remain have grown extremely close and are such an amazing support system for each other.

These friends of mine are scattered about the US and Canada, from right here in Washington and British Columbia to California, New York City and many points in between.  Although our actual homes are miles apart, we have a virtual "home" where we share our hopes our struggles and our joys.  Many of these friends I have met in person and some I have yet to wrap my arms around...  But (and even Jeff will now attest to this) all are quite real friends. 

So it was disconcerting at the end of April when we found that our website had been taken down.  We were able to gather up most of our little flock into a temporary meeting place and several days later our techie queen had us up and running with new software.  The changes inspired a few of us to search the archives for some of our more interesting conversations.  Yesterday one of our Boston ladies came up with quite a gem.

In April of 2002 it seems one of our ladies started a thread challenging each of us to list thirty things about ourselves that we didn't think the others would know.  I was pregnant with Thomas at the time and remember how daunting this felt to me.  I hadn't been sure I would be able to come up with thirty things - but I managed.  So yesterday when I browsed through my old list, I expected to find it only mildly amusing.  And quite honestly, mildly amusing was all it really was...

Until I got to number thirty.

So I quote...  "I want to adopt another child (toddler/preschool) sometime in the distant future. I haven't mentioned it to DH yet because two has always been his limit, but I think that 8-10 years down the road he might go for it."
 
My sweet hubby had never even remotely considered the possibility of three kids.  He came into our marriage wanting one child.  I had always imagined myself with three.  So two had been our compromise.  While I was newly pregnant with Thomas I privately shared my hopes for another adoption with my girlfriends...  and eight years later, Jeff decides he wants a daughter. 

I serve an Awesome God. 

Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Jennifer from Sumner, WA said...

That's wonderful, Robyn! Praising God with your WHOLE family. :) -Jennifer from Sumner